SailNet Community - View Single Post - continuous furler?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Adam, What kind of furler are you talking about? Is it a new one or a used one. Is it a Hood or some other brand?
Some people complain about the difficulty reefing a continuous line furler as they have a tendency to unfurl themselves if the line isn't really tight or the drum isn't tied off to something to keep it from unrolling. Other than that, there's not a lot of difference in how they operate and how a single line furler operates.
You do usually have to have the furling line spliced in place. So unless you can do the splice yourself, there is likely to be an extra cost associated there. Plus, you need to have special lead blocks because you have twice as much line running up and down the deck.

Having said all that, unless you are getting a real good deal on this unit, I would probably advise you to just go with a single line furler. There are more choices of brands, they are simpler to reef and you don't need to know how to splice.
I had a hood continuous line unit and can tell you cannot safely reef your headsail with one, I don't car how tight you tie it off. The sail can only reliably be used all the way out or all the way in. The drum relies on friction and wind power WILL overcome the available friction, just when you absoutely do NOT want you full headsail.

I ditched mine, gave the useable parts to a friend with the same furler and a skittish wife that's always motorsailing when there is any wind anyway, then cut the rest into pieces lest some unfortunate try to salvage it.

I would not have one on a boat I owned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook