SailNet Community - View Single Post - continuous furler?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I had a hood continuous line unit and can tell you cannot safely reef your headsail with one, I don't car how tight you tie it off. The sail can only reliably be used all the way out or all the way in. The drum relies on friction and wind power WILL overcome the available friction, just when you absoutely do NOT want you full headsail.

I ditched mine, gave the useable parts to a friend with the same furler and a skittish wife that's always motorsailing when there is any wind anyway, then cut the rest into pieces lest some unfortunate try to salvage it.

I would not have one on a boat I owned.
I agree with much of your post. I tried to make clear the difficulty in reefing in my first post. However, the furler can be tied off to prevent the sail from unrolling by lashing the tack shackle off to something. It does require going forward and is therefore not a real popular option but there are lots of people who are in situations where they may not be able to afford to replace their furler and so it might be good for people to know that the sail can be reefed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook