SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you call the opening on the bulwark
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 12-02-2011
Junior Member
Seadawgy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida pandle
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
hand bomb

Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Hand bomb??? Never heard of that term. No such animal... and this according to my lexicons for Merchant marine & seamanship.

Warping is when you move a vessel along a pier or a wharf with the vessel's mooring lines.

Other openings in bulwarks are the Freeing ports and scuppers
"I saw this was asked once before but I am not sure of the answer. In the transportation business, when something is stacked or loaded by hand, it is called "hand bomb". For example, "that 40' ocean container from Shanghai was hand bombed." It would mean that the cartons were not loaded onto a skid, and each individual carton would have to be offloaded by hand. Some people use the term "Hand Bomb", while others use "Hand Balm". Thinking about it though, I should think the best spelling would be "Hand Bond", as the cartons are being loaded securely, and thus "bonded" by hand. I am not sure of the origin of this term, but it is very frequently heard in the North American transporation business, as well as warehouses and distribution centres."

believe that it refers to warping by "hand" as opposed to warping a vessel mechanically as in using the locomotives of the Panama canal locks

Grace..ease of movement or bearing
Seadawgy is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome