SailNet Community - View Single Post - It Usually Means Something
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Shouldn't be the heat ex, I took it apart in spring, it was all clear. The leaking line went to the exhaust elbow, I'm suspicious there. In fact I wonder if the new zinc may have been enough longer than the old to partially block the flow. I hope to check today.
Given everything you've said and done, and the absence of water flow through the exhaust, it would seem that the injection nozzle is obstructed. We have a friend that experienced a similar problem with his engine during a cruise to Key West last year. When he finally limped in and his engine cooled, we pulled the injection nozzle to discover all but a tiny hole left due to carbon/salt build-up. An hour with a Drummel tool followed by several hours of soaking in a solution of fresh water and Saltaway cleared it enough to allow him to make it back to Tampa Bay without difficulty. He probably could have continued to use the nozzle for awhile but elected to replace it once he got home. We have found that one of the best sources for parts is Transatlantic Diesel ("TAD") although I'm sure there is no shortage of other suppliers in the northeast.

Good Luck!

PS: If you elect to clear the nozzle with a Drummel tool, wear eye protection!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook