SailNet Community - View Single Post - Head sail size
Thread: Head sail size
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If you dopn't plan to race I would agree with the suggestion that you buy a 135% or so. I would suggest that you consider buying 135 or so in a higher tech fiber (i.e. kevlar) that is cut just slightly fuller than a dacron #2 would be cut. This will give you better performance at the light air end of the wind range and will hold its shape better at the upper end if the wind range. It will also be a more durable sail overall. The local race fleet has gone to Kevlar genoas as a cost savings measure. Even though kevlar is a little more expensive( Not as bad as it used to be if you go with panel construction) kevlar sails just plain keep thier shape a lot longer. The local Catalina 27 race boats tend to have a #2 genoa which would probably be the hot ticket.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook