SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Diego- Stars and Stripes
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My wife and I are headed to Long Beach California next week to spend 6 days in S California, three of which will be n Catalina Island so I can recononiter a little as next year we would like to charter in Long beach and sail San Diego, Catalina and maybe the other Channel Islands in Novemeber.

First- We were lucky to book a ride on the old Dennis Conner Americas Cup Stars and Stripes for a week from Saturday...anyone ever been sailing on her ?

Second what are the reasonable distances for sailing San Diego, Newport, Channel Islands in a day. What are conditions like in Novemeber in that part of S California? Do you have the large NE swells from the winter storms yet which come ashore in N Cali and Orgeon/ Washington or is it realitively normal seas? How do Santa Anna winds affect the ocean sailing in that area.

Dave
David--

Pull up Google Earth and look at the distances involved. San Diego to Newport to the Channel Islands is a "purty fur piece" at any time of year (and why would you want to go the Newport anyway? Its a bit of a slog from San Diego up to Catalina at this time of year although, if the Santa Ana's are blowing, it will be a reach and you can zoom around to the back-side and shelter quite comfortably in Cat Harbor. Bring your snuggies!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook