SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing classes, where to start?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
One of the requirements for the captain's license is the basic boating course certificate so he would still need to do that. And, according to the original post, he doesn't know the basics in order to obtain his license so I think this is jumping WAY ahead for now. Certainly something to add to the list of goals, however.
Hi Donna, I'm not aware of a basic boating course certificate requirement in order to obtain a CG license. Is this a new requirement ?

In NJ, for instance if you hold a CG license you are exempt from having to take the boating safety course; of course, without a license you would need a card to operate a motor vessel. To my knowlege, in NY, there is no general requirement for license, other than for jet ski's. and those under 18.

What we don't know is how much time " most of my life" is. Since the CG license requires " time served". Other than that, a CG course will cover all the required topics needed to pass the exam. The rest is paperwork: Twic card, physical, drug testing, etc etc.

Sailboat training is another track... which can be accomplished in conjunction with pursuing a CG license imo. The OP knew enough to get from Toronto to LI. and has sailed most of his life.

The question, I would have is how much " on water time can be documented".
If there's not enough documentable time, then yes, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook