SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quick Q's for purchasing a boat this weekend?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Catalina 22 - Nice boat. A quick yachtworld.com search yields prices from $1000 to about $6000, so $2500 is on the low side. The rust will have to be sandblasted or otherwise removed, then primed and coated. Figure 10 hours labor. The frayed winch cable is a normal wear item and will need replacement. It's not difficult at all. Figure 2-3 hours. The pits in the hull are blisters and will need attention. It's a big job but not hard. To be done right, the entire bottom should be stripped (sanded or blasted) and the pits filled with epoxy. You could barrier coat the entire hull, but I wouldn't on this boat. Figure on 20 - 40 hours. Good boat. My father owned one and I worked for 2 dealers as a teen.

Tanzer - A boat in the water for 4 years will sail like a pig. The bottom is probably mass of weed and performance will be zero. Once hauled and cleaned, there will most probably be blisters (one reason that I haul each year is to let the hull dry - significantly reducing the potential for blisters).

In this price range, I'm not sure that I'd get a survey (will probably be ~$600-$800) but generally they are worth their weight on gold. At this age and in this condition you'll need to replace everything. Maybe another $2000 - $4000.

Last edited by Sabreman; 12-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook