SailNet Community - View Single Post - It Usually Means Something
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Sorry Caleb, I lack computer skills, and a digital camera! The deposit was like gritty brown mud, but hard enough in spots to be difficult to scrape out with a screwdriver. I'm going to try boiling it out. The zinc may have added to the problem. It left room in the pipe-t where it was installed, but was long enough to nearly obstruct the pipe nipple screwed into the other end. I cut the zinc in half. A test run now showed plenty of water from the exhaust. Then I reassembled it with sealant. Now I just hope that when I run it tomorrow it doesn't drip.
Perhaps I'm just dense but I do not understand the need of a zinc in a mixing elbow. A zinc might be important where there is constant exposure to water but the mixing elbow generally only has water in it when the engine is running. Why then a zinc?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook