SailNet Community - View Single Post - want to live-aboard, but how do i repair?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I've been at marinas with and without travel lifts. I much prefer knowing that I can be hauled for repair if necessary. Props, cutlass bearings, thru hulls, bottom paints, stuffing boxes, etc, etc.

It's becoming harder around my parts to find a yard that will let you do any of your own work that creates an environmental issue, such as painting. Harder still that would let you live aboard on the hard.

There are usually two rates. One for a quick haul, where you are pulled out and stay in the slings on the travel lift, do you repair and are dropped back in on the same day. Some try to get hauled last on a Saturday afternoon, so they get all day Sunday before relaunching on Mon. Many yards have a safety problem with this. The other rate is for a maintenance haul, which puts the boat onto stands and then comes back to pick it off and relaunch when the work is done. The later being much more expensive, as it's essentially twice the work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook