SailNet Community - View Single Post - Add bluetooth to nmea cheaply?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011

IPM is on a distinguished road
Did some ebay purchases:

a pair of these for optical isolation: RS422/NMEA 0183 RS422 Adapter dB25 Male to FEMALE Conn | eBay

a pair of these for blue tooth: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

a pair of db25/db9 adapters these to join blue tooth units to isolators: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

a pair of db25/rj45 adapters to make a clean connection from optoisolators to raymarine nmea in or out as applicable: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I already had an extra lm1117 regulator circuit made from long ago so I'll use that to power the bluetooth. And already have rj45 plugs and cat5 network cable to make connection from db25 adapters to nmea in/out

I already have an outdoor use laptop, itronix gobook with usb type bluetooth adapter. Already have a few chartplotters and virtual gauges loaded.

Stuff to also install to boat is raymarine autopilot, depth, wind, remote control, and a used northstar gps. Long winter project. Sailboat is a Macgregor 26x that already has nicely done shorepower, power panels, batteries, battery boxes. Will not use again until 2012, some anticipated journeies: Port Isabel/Padre Island Tx - Feb., Chicago/Lake Michigan - June, Gulf Mexico/Destin Fla - July, and where ever else I have time to trailer to usually Stockton or Truman Lakes Mo.

Last edited by IPM; 12-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook