SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

O' Day 25 Bulkheads & Chain-plates

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BroadCreek222 
#1 ·
So who has actually removed and replaced the bulkheads & chain-plates on their O' Day 25? I have Don Casey's book and have looked at the West System page on swapping out bulkheads, and done numerous searches on the interwebs but, I want to know how it is done on my boat, a 1977 era. Removal information would be extremely helpful if anyone has first hand experience doing it. I have read in various places that they are screwed and glassed in. I have not had a chance to dig in to it on my boat as of yet, mostly because of time and the fact that it is about 15 degrees today. Anyway, as I said, I would really appreciate some first hand knowledge to help get me started in the right place.

Thanks.
:cool:

#3 ·
Couldn't remember the guy at D&R to call, thanks for that. Will be getting my chain-plates from there. I did post the same text at O' Day owners and I got a response of "I have.". So I am hoping to get a bit more info than that. LOL

Thanks for he heads up on who to talk to at D&R.

#6 ·
Greetings,

While not being an O'Day 25, I did replace the bulkheads & chain plates on my O'Day 222...

Save the old bulkheads as you can use them for the template.. I bought 1/2" marine plywood with teak veneer. It is substantially heavier than what came with the boat. "Painted" the new bulkheads with WEST epoxy..
I purchased SS metal blanks thicker that what the factory provided. Had them bent, drilled, and polished to match the original interior chain plates EXCEPT the length is longer and added a third hole..
All this 15 years ago cost me around $350. plus my time. It is far better than original.. Never leaks, no oil-canning, looks damn good...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.