SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting "Discussion" With The Admiral....When were you ready for a 50 mile trip?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are chartering a sailboat Monday for three days from Newport going to Catalina Island provided the waether is ok. The trip across is about 40 miles or so (33 in a straight line). We are figuring about a 7 hour or so crossing depending on woind velocity and direction. We wopuld like to do it in daylight as this is not our normal cruising grounds asnd that is only about 10 good hours.

Make sure you have the vcorrect safety equipment on board and have at it. Trying to do it in one day over and back doesnt make sense for your first time really offshore.

After reading other of your posts concerning your wife it is obvious she does not share the same passion for sailing. She is overly cautuious. On the other hand your sense for adventure is pushing her into this overly cautiousness as it appears you are not willing to take measured steps with her. The all or nothing approach wont work.

My wife is not the passionate sailor I am, but over time with measured increases in trips and scopes I have been able to entice and win her over and overcome her fears or apprehensions. It takes patience on my part, but the end result was worth it. When I met her she did not even swim.I had been sailing for 30 years and crossed the Atlantic twice. We took incremental steps, First year in the Chesapeake...second small ocean trip to Atlantic City, Third year NYC, now she loves going offshore to newport RI, Block Island and points north.

Unless you want to be sailing alone I suggest you slow down to let her find her own confidence level and pace. If she thinks you are reckless and pushing the envemlope to far, it will not give her the confidence to go out with her and you will be sailing alone. Not a great formula for sharing things I think.

Slow down some and include her..it will pay dividends in the long run

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook