SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westsail 42 Fiona video tour and sailing adventure
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Good stuff, very interesting.

I have a couple of comments. Let me preface by saying I am a professional in the broadcast television industry, so take it for what it's worth.
-B roll: cover your talking head with pictures, footage, anything to break up the intro. Perhaps some old stills of Mr. Forsythe, and his prior adventures. I don't mind seeing you in the salon of the boat, but only for a brief intro (:15 tops) and maybe a close.
-Brevity: When you give the brief tour of the boat, you should plan out what you want to say, then shoot the video. Get a wide, medium and close up of every part you want to go into detail about (eg. samson post), to give you options when you edit. Just video with natural sound (NATS), no talking. Then write down what you want to say about each item and read it to your microphone in a quiet setting. I assume you're using an edit program such as Final Cut or Premier. They have a tool called 'Voice Over' that you can record the track to, then drop that track into the timeline. Cover your VO with the footage that you shot (with NATS on a separate audio track), and viola! You have an edited package, minus the "uuuh"s and "um"s. It will also cut the TRT (total running time) in half. Believe me when I tell you, less is more in that regard. This also assures that you'll have clean audio throughout.
I do like the supers (the text you have over some of the footage). They are helpful.

BTW-
I want that ladder that attaches to the jib sheet bock! That is sweet! Where can I get one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook