SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some Interesting boats at the Paris boat: The Dufour 36 performance

It is a very innovative boat and it seems to point a bit more towards performance and racing than the other boats on the Dufour performance line.

As negative points the the galley. It is not big but the worse is the big cool box cover. How they would expect a guy to cook if when you open the (big) cover all the space for having thing on the bench go way with the cover? .

The boat does not have cabinets on the saloon, except over the galley and that limits storage.

Outside the boat has only one decent storage space, since the removable coffers are really very small and even if that is interesting to racing, in what regards cruising the outside access to the main storage space is not very practical. It is on the floor of the aft part of the cockpit near the end of the boat. That space is also accessed from the inside, through the head but that does not entirely compensate the bad access from outside.

The positive points are many, from a double door to the front cabin that now several boats are using to give a sense of more interior volume, like a loft (and visually it works) to a well designed saloon table with lots of storage space to a possibility of having two 150L water tank that can work as water ballast to a good wet cabinet or a big spinnaker pool that is not very intrusive on the front cabin and is completely waterproof.

Felci, the designer says the boat is optimized to sail heeled and that it has a bit more forward volume than it is usual on its other designs. I guess that will provide a boat that will have more form stability and that will plan sooner. The interior also looks modern and nice in a zen kind of way.

Take a look at the movie:

Dufour 36 Performance : l'élégance et la modernité

It's main competitors will be the First 35, the Elan 350 and the new Salona 35 and in what regards the ones I knew already (The Elan 350 and the First 35) I doubt that the Dufour 36p is a better cruising boat. Of course the First need to change rapidly that big wheel by a two will set up. The cockpit is really much more accessible with a two wheel set-up and not only while at anchor but also for a solo sailor needing to access the front winches, but in what regards storage space and access to storage and galley space, the Dufour seemed worse to me.

First 35 / First / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB.../elan_350_.swf

Of course I did not saw the better part of it (I hope) because the Dufour 36p looks like a hell of a sailboat and I will bet that it is fast

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook