SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011

BoldSailor is on a distinguished road
At the time it was the right thing to do. 3 serious events in less than two hours, one crew injured, conditions getting worse. I believe we were all expecting to not have a boat left by the time the Coast Guard arrived.
What solved our dilemma was helm folks paying strict attention to the approaching waves and aligning the boat appropriately. Plus the addition of a second drogue which stopped the surfing action. 100' of manila rope with about 80' of chain, one of these on each primary winch, through the stern chocks.
There was no communications available once we went over. We could have turned the units off once things stabilized, which would have saved the CG a bit of flying time, but they were already enroute. and I'm not sure anyone was aware you could turn the danged things off. Things were kind of busy too, between steering, making up the other drogue, and the mess below, time went by pretty fast.
I'd be interested in talking to Elle's crew and see what their conditions were. Sounds similar, but they proceeded to abandon ship.
Our remaining days at sea were damned uncomfortable, but we did bring her in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook