SailNet Community - View Single Post - Desired features vs. boat capabilities
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
One of the problems with this kind of discussion is that people get set in their ways and refuse to acknowledge progress.

I'm old enough to remember when Bob Perry's Valiant 40 was considered radical in a world where the only true ocean goer was a full keel. Heck, I bet there was once a time when even a cutaway forefoot was looked on as new fangled.

Nowadays I am sure that there are skegless rudders that can withstand anything thrown at them and as Killarney noted big windows that are well able to stand up to as much harsh treatment as any old timer with tiny ports.

Thats not to say all modern boats are up to the task but i'd reckon most are with varying degrees of comfort.

btw ... Killarney, along with winged keels I'd also disqualify anything with keel appendages that project forward of the keel. For mine, I'd not have a bloody great deep keel with a torpedo on it for quids but again that takes into account my cruising grounds.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 12-10-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook