SailNet Community - View Single Post - Zero Tolerance has left San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Zero Tolerance has left San Francisco

Yes, it's true! Zero Tolerance really has left San Francisco Bay. The inevitable finally happened several days ago!

I found crew by posting on Latitude 38. After a couple days of seatrials, we set off from Vallejo to anchor for the night in Clipper Cove off of Treasure Island. In the morning, we set sail south. After discovering the charts outside of the bay had been deleted from my GPS, we headed for Half Moon Bay...almost running aground on the reef. We were able to make it to Monterey the following day using my back-up GPS connected to the computer. West Marine sold us a new GPSmap76Cx and we were in Monterey for two nights. We started out sailing from Monterey with the intention of making it to Port San Luis. After discovering our VMG wasn't good with all sails up, we decided to start motoring south. Since we were now making great progress, we changed plans to go directly to Santa Barbara. It took us somewhere around 34 hours to make it, but we did.

Things I've learned so far...

1) I got very lucky and couldn't ask for a better crew.
2) When you motor-sail through a patch of sea grass, it'll clean your hull while it's fouling your prop. Check prop afterward even if you think all is OK.
3) Have a back-up GPS and use it when the primary fails.
4) Having the wind directly off your stern can be as bad as having it directly off your bow, especially if it's not very strong.
5) Carry spare belts and impellers. I was lucky enough to have a spare impeller belt 7.5 miles from Santa Barbara.
6) Having BoatUS is peace of mind.
7) Gori makes very good props, and North Sails makes very good Jibs.
8) My fuel load is good for over 300 nautical miles.
9) Oil slicks between Point Conception and Santa Barbara are apparently "natural."

So, if you're south of me and you see an old J/36 with "Zero Tolerance" written on the sides, don't be afraid to say "Hi."

Fair winds & Following Seas,

Marshall
Skipper, J/36 S/V Zero Tolerance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook