SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your preferred Ipad/Ipod/Android SAILING Apps?

13K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  rorythepilot 
#1 ·
What are your preferred and useful apps to use besides the traditional? I found Windguru to be pretty useful with a good and detailed forecast for my area.
Wondering what do you use...

#6 ·
Just got an iPhone too weeks ago. I feel like I just came out of the stone ages. For $7.99 Navionics Marine & Lakes is amazing. Charts,tides, currents, POI's. Not a substitute for a chartplotter because of screen size, not weather proof, battery life and in general not as rugged as a dedicated chartplotter but still great.

Accuweather's radar maps, seem to be pretty up to the minute and free.

Knot Guide, also free. Not animated butstep by step guides for many, many knots. 30+ sailing knots.

#7 ·
GPS Test
Marine Traffic (more of a toy)
mobile GRIB
NutiCharts
Navionics
WeatherEye

I also use my Android browser for some weather sites:
PredictWind
BuoyWeather
NOAA
Environment Canada, etc..

#8 ·
I also like Navionics. Use if for tides and currents all the time. For $15 bucks, got all the charts for the entire west coast US along with tides and currents, about the same price as a single paper chart. Don't have to have a cell phone signal to use it either.

#15 ·
I'm looking for a good GRIB app that will keep the forecasts on my Ipad offline. Any suggestions?

I've seen iGrib for $2.99, PocketGrib for $5.99 and Weathertrack for $19.99. As users already know, you can't demo or really see an Ipad app without purchasing. That needs to change.

#24 ·
good GRIB app that will keep the forecasts on Ipad offline.

I'm looking for a good GRIB app that will keep the forecasts on my Ipad offline. Any suggestions?
Hi, on
Guided Tours - Grib Viewer WEATHERTRACK 1.3 Track the worldwide weather on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch!

you can see a few demos how the app works.
What would you like to know exactly? Are you looking for a specific feature?

By the way, for Xmas season WEATHERTRACK has a huge price drop of 50%, decreasing from 19.99 USD to only 9.99 USD.

Seasons greetings

#18 ·
I have several apps on my iPod some are limited by no GPS but they are still nice to have.
1. Navionics - PNW
2. Charts & Tides w/Active Captain support
3. Marine Chars EarthNC
4. eSeaChart U.S. Marine Charts w/Active Captain support - New
5. Boaters Pocket Reference
6. NOAA Buoy and Tide Data
7. AyeTides
8. Knot Guide
9. Animated Knoits by Grog
10. Nautical Chart Symbols
11. Nav Lights
12. Windfinder
13. Expert Video: Sailing
14. Sailboat Discussion Forum - SBO Sailboat Owners
15. and a few handy utilities to use on the go.
Yes I guess I am a bit over the top with apps but they are nice toys for the ipod and in future they will be mine to load onto an iPad 4G or something.

#19 ·
At Panbo.com there are some new weather sites:
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: iPad GRIB viewers, Weather4D & WeatherTrack

and waterproof cases:
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: iPad cases for the boat, & some interesting apps

I have been thinking seriously about buying a 3g iPad, does anybody have any real world experience with the coverage in coastal areas? ATT vs Verizon?

I understand the 3G has it's own GPS chip but how far out can you actually get data reception, say for weather radar downloads? I'm in the northeast.

#20 ·
I have had my IPAD2 out as far as 15 miles off the jersey coast and got great reception with AT&T. Course in the Chesapeake there is not trouble either at all. I am probably going to discointinue the AY&T though as my T Mobile Droid has a hot spot.

Dave

#21 ·
The GPS receiver in the iPad does not require cell coverage at all. It isn't a cell phone triangulator, it's an actual receiver just like any gps. I use it in the airplane with zero cell coverage and it is spot on.

This confuses people because only the cell based 3G iPad come with the separate gps receiver.

#39 ·
I had an older Navionics app that was great. I broke the phone and when I went to re-load the app software, my previous app was no longer available. I downloaded the next available app and I'm not as happy with it. The previous app had all the the U.S. This later app has U.S. and Canada, but you physically select the area you want to have, then you download it. That wasn't a big deal. But one time I went to open it up and the app gave me an error message that it couldn't validate my license. Well, it couldn't validate it because I didn't have 3-G coverage where I was. Crap, is the thing even going to work when we're far from cell phone service? The old version did. I'm not so sure about the newer version.

#38 ·
If you consider music to be a part of sailing (I actually don't like it underway, but do once anchored or docked), I just began using Pandora Radio. You type in whatever genre, artist, or other phrase that describes the type of music you are interested in and it just starts streaming for free. Very very cool. I have no patience for downloading iTunes or sorting CDs, etc. I also have a wide interest in music, so my preference at any particular time can be very different from another.

I already have the cable that connected our iPod to the boat's stereo system, which will work the same for the iPad. I suspect one would only want to use this when connected to wifi. I believe that streaming music can chew up a lot of cell bandwidth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.