SailNet Community - View Single Post - bareboat certification
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What matters is the instructor, rather than the school.

Jack
As it turns out, my school was pretty awful. It.s the biggest one here in Toronto, starts with an H.

Cruising Keelboat course was on 309 Catalina, good boat. But there were five students on each. It's 20 hours on water. Do the math...

When I did my first overnight passage, the captain handed me the charts, and said, do want to give it a go?

I had to explain to him again, that I was with him on the passage to learn, because the school didn't really teach anything. So he taught me to plot a chart, something the school should have done in my opinion. But in reality the theory part of the course was nothing more than someone going through all the answers to the exam in a slideshow. Seriously. If we memorized the answers, we would pass. So we all did. 30 of us. Not much wiser than when we went in. But $600 poorer.

Sorry for the rant and de-rail.

Oh, I should add that I missed one on water class due to family emergency. So I only got 15 hours on water. And they signed my ticket no problem without even a question or thought to making up the time.

Last edited by Ninefingers; 12-12-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook