SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cast Iron Keel Renovation - WS Epoxy vs. Barrier Coat first sealing layer
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011

Rhodes143 is on a distinguished road
Cast Iron Keel Renovation - WS Epoxy vs. Barrier Coat first sealing layer

Hello, This is my first posting to Sailnet, and actually to any forum such as this. I am a new sailboat owner, of a rhodes 19 Keel version sailboat. I am in the process of completely renovating it from hardware to the keel. I have ground down the keel to bare metal and am now debating what to do next. I have spoken to several other owners and received very good information that all is similar to what is typically posted on the internet. Primarily everyone says to use epoxy, then use epoxy with filler, sand, then bottom paint. One individual mentioned that if he were to do it all again he would use barrier coat instead of west systems epoxy as the first coat. What are peoples thoughts on this? As barrier coats have become much better over time, the barrier coats today are pretty much epoxy with water barrier ability and are rock hard. Could this be a better first sealing layer on the iron? I was also thinking of using OSPHO rust inhibitor to hopefully impede future rust development.

Any comments thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the length!
Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook