SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
I'll have my boat for as long as my wife and I find we are enjoying her. I have no idea how long that may be. My folks used their Catalina 36 extensively year round with my father having a fatal stroke while they were anchored out in BC at the age of 74.

Right now, a sailboat works for us. Who knows in 10-20 years? If we are still sailing in 20 years, I think it likely that we will still be sailing our C400. It is only 6 years old and was built well. How long it lasts will be entirely up to my being diligent with maintenance. We certainly won't go larger.

As others have mentioned, it certainly is possible that as we age, we may opt to move to a stinker, something comfortable with a displacement hull. For now however, we are happy with our boat (we are very fortunate) and our only complaint is not enough time to enjoy it more.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook