SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Australia in recent years has most certainly caught the "it must be new" disease. Second hand car prices have most certainly plumetted, new boats depreciate faster than they once did.

I confess I am old fashioned in this respect. Sure I owned new cars but quite frankly I doubt I will ever buy another. Both our cars were a few years old when we bought them and have still given us long faithful service at a considerable price advantage to the same model bought new.

To some extent boats are a bit different cos systems on older boats are difficult to repair or to have repaired but even so I am content to go with a ten year old model from a builder of good repute though I can understand why the racers among us like to have the latest go fast bits and pieces.

I'd also be very interested to see to what extent what is rapidly becoming a European economic meltdown will alter the European mindset.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook