SailNet Community - View Single Post - bareboat certification
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011

InkyMatt is on a distinguished road
Interesting. My course is also through a Toronto school starting with an 'H'. And as far as I know, the only one starting with an 'H'...

I asked a few sailing friends for recommendations, and they uninimously named this school. I joined in May for my Basic Standard, got a membership with them, and sailed 3-4 nights per week throughout the summer. I learned a lot, and made a lot of new friends.

If we're talking about the same school, i'm surprised at the negative view. Although they DO now make the first half of Coastal Navigation (chartplotting fundamentals) a prerequisite for the intermediate. The instructor told me that he wanted to make the whole thing a prerequisite, but the CYA refused. So far, i've taken my Basic, VHF Radio, and Coastal Navigation courses through them. And honestly, i would be hard-pressed to come up with any negative criticism...

How long ago did you take your Intermediate? I'm also curious because overnight passages aren't part of this school's Intermediate - it's part of the Advanced Standard...

My BVI Intermediate course is also through this same school, there are a bunch of us flying down and chartering a couple of yachts with our Toronto instructors.
Jackdale's list looks to be a part of what we'll be learning (although 1/2 of it has already been taught in the other courses).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook