SailNet Community - View Single Post - USVI dreaming
Thread: USVI dreaming
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
It's in the 20's F overnight and 30's and 40's during the day, soon two months of snow and ice, then spring flooding.

So time for my annual dream about moving to warmer climes.

Any one moved to USVI?

I know BVI and Puerto Rico but have never been to USVI.

Sailing would be a positive, but what about cultural events; music, theater, arts,... I fear I am spoiled with what Philadelphia has to offer and close proximity to New York and Washington.
I moved here about a year before CaptJay, a good friend. It is 11am and 80 degrees outside, much like the other 364 days of the year.

Sailing is excellent and, other than before a hurricane, can be done comfortably year round.

Not the level of arts that you can attend in Philly, then again there are only about 100K people in the VI. To get an idea of what is available you can look here UVI: Reichhold Center for the Arts and here Pistarckle Theater - Pistarckle Theater plus there is Carnival week (month) on each of the three islands. Liquor is cheap, the laws that regulate the consumption are lax making just about any reason a sufficient one to have some sort of a party. Decent free live music from a wide range of genres can be found everynight of the week if one wants to enjoy it.

Crime is a concern and I won't ignore that negative facet of life here. The politics must be experienced to be appreciated. It makes places like Chicago and New Orleans seem corruptionfree. At any time that I feel the negatives of living here outweigh the positives, we will move!

Cost of living is very high compared to most of the continental US. Getting specific foods, or anything for that matter, are just not always available.

One of the keys to flourishing here is to accept that you are not "back home" and nearly everything is done differently. If one can't accept that basic premise, most don't make it here for long. It is easier said than done. For example, read Jay's blog post from about his banking experience. I spent a total of 21 hours over the course of two weeks just trying to get a local dirvers license. I've spent as much as 4 hours standing in line to renew vehicle registration. Patience is required...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook