SailNet Community - View Single Post - USVI dreaming
Thread: USVI dreaming
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
While I didn't live in USVI nearly as long as FarCry, I have to agree with everything he said. I would also like to note, that (perhaps due to my own behavior or outlook on life) I have not experienced any negative "race issues" - but then again, I haven't experienced them in other places where people complained.

The corruption and inefficiency seems to be no worse than that around South Florida - which is not a very high hurdle to overcome, of course Lack of certain basic services, like true high speed internet, reliable electricity or clean drinking water from the tap is something to get used to.

St. Thomas actually has a fairly urban feel, and a lot going for a relatively small place - but then again, if someone is looking for "cultural activities" moving to a tropical island seems counter-productive.

That said, USVI is definitely not for everyone. There is a steady influx of starry-eyed would-be "expatriates" every fall, and outflow every late spring (which is the best time to come over, as there are lots of apartments for rent and cars for sale in the Daily News)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook