SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you buy for $15k-20k? For sailing from Florida -> Bahamas, and beyond!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&AdamInTheCaribbean View Post
Myself and a friend are looking to buy in the $15,000-$20,000 range (~$20k budget for purchase, repairs and outfitting). We are wanting to buy the boat in Florida to live-aboard and cruise around the Caribbean. What would you buy for a similar situation?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions as to specific places to look, specific brokers to use in Florida, or any other helpful hints they would be very much appreciated!

(New to the forum but as this purchase looms closer and then our adventure begins I imagine it could become a very significant part of my life )
So what inquiring minds want to know is how handy are you?
Another way to go that I think could be more fun would be checking all the on-line venues for berths.

These opportunities include:
You pay the captain
The captain pays you
You pay expenses.

With 20G you would be wealthy crew rather than being a broke captain.
If you did that for a couple of years you would have some real knowledge and adventure under your belt and maybe some money left over.

What do you know or have:
Cooking
Sailing
Repairs
Medical
Computers
Strong back and willing to work.

If you know all there is to know about sailing and sailboats and have a year or two and a lot of luck and patience and a good job for living expenses and tools and a place to work on the boat you may be able to find a cheap boat and fit it out safely.
If that is not your profile you could be crew and have a great time and get the experience and maybe even keep a lot of your money.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-13-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook