SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP! Leaking Centerboard Trunk
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006

dlgknight is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP! Leaking Centerboard Trunk

Hi, i recently purchased a 1941 18ft Dunphy Condor, wood framed with fiberglass, in need of some restoration. After a lot of refinishing on the interior wood, we finally put it in the water last weekend. Within minutes there was over 6 inches of water in the bottom. i found the source... there was a steady stream of water pouring out of the centerboard turnk about 3 inches up from the floor planking. After pulling it out of the water and getting it home, i found that there was actually a 2 inch long by half an inch high strip of wood gone. I began picking at the wood around it to find out that much of it was rotten. After a while i had actually removed a section of wood about 15inches long by 5 inches high .... behind the wood is a thin layer of of fiberglass. There were actually two very small(about half the diameter of a dime) sized holes in the fiberglass, about 4 inches below where the water was actually coming out of the wood....
My first question is, what method of repair would you recommend? If i apply a resin and fiberglass patch to the fiberglass, and then put a wood patch in what i took out, do you think that will stop the leak, or do you think there are other such holes and it will simply find another way out of the wood?
Secondly, there is no centerboard gasket on the bottom. Do you think putting one on would help this situation at all? And if so, where could i get one?? i'm in the middle of iowa, with no marine stores around me at all......
And lastly, and completly seperate from the above problem, the deck is seperating from the hull. What would you recommend for repairing it?
Thank you all for your time. If pictures would help anyone i can easily get some.
David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook