SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you buy for $15k-20k? For sailing from Florida -> Bahamas, and beyond!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
David

If the budget is limited at X and he spends a third for the boat he just has to prioritize. Barrier coat is out - slap a coat of bottom paint on and after checking the through hulls its good to go. Everything can be bought used except rigging related items. Engine - if it runs well just buy spare filters, belts, and an impeller.
Engine for dinghy? Rowing is healthy. Yard charges for a year? Except for checking the rudder, prop, cutlass, and through hulls there is only bottom paint. What are the other 11 months for?

Good thing you weren't around in Columbus' time - he would have stayed home.
Your right I forgot about:
Engine spares, cutlass bearing, Prop
Prop that reminds me, wetsuit and goggles to dive on the prop.

We all have read many stories of folks who buy and old boat, fill up the tanks and head for open water. For some reason either a chain plate pulls out or the rudder falls off or the wind gets scary and someone wants off the boat.

I figure it this way. If I can scare this fellow off this idea by bringing up stuff he didn't think of and he decides to get more experience first I probably saved the Coast Guard a few thousand.
If he is determined to go anyway maybe he will research a few of the things I've mentioned and actually make it. If he really has a lot more experience than he is letting on then that changes the story.

To bad most of these folks don't come back on the forum and say what happened. I hope they didn't all get their boat take off and drown.

I had a guy put on offer on a 36' Morgan then change is mind at the last minute and bought a motorcycle after I told him what the carrying costs were going to be on the boat.

So your right I'm probably the problem
Course if I retire and become a yacht broker my story will change.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook