SailNet Community - View Single Post - The challenge of experience
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I think you are very astute. Experience is not the same one repeated over and over.

I guess you have to decide if you want to put yourself outside your comfort zone, then plot and plan and then set a date and go for it. We are in Moreton Bay and there are a few old friends who have seen some of our photos and want to head up the coast. One of these friends has been sailing the Bay for 30yrs, but never out of it and it represents a mental barrier for him. He has the boat and the gear and would be fine - over prepared. So he will sail to Mooloolaba, then to the Wide Bay in tandem with me. After that I will head home after a week or so in the beautiful Tin Can and Hervey Bays.

With yachting, there is usually someone who has genuinely done what you want before and if you can tag along, it reduces any stress, but you are doing it yourself so gaining the required experience.

You can be within vhf distance, even if you are over the horizon.

I am planning a trip to New Caladonia and Vanuatu and may go about the same time as one of the rally's (exactly for the same reasons] - all the benefits without the committments

I think the comments about a need for an element of danger is wrong. Danger is somewhere between real and imaginary. Being outside your comfort zone does not necessarily mean dangerous.

Anyway, its a decision where we sail to and planning and prep reduce possible dramas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 12-14-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook