SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you buy for $15k-20k? For sailing from Florida -> Bahamas, and beyond!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&AdamInTheCaribbean View Post
Myself and a friend are looking to buy in the $15,000-$20,000 range (~$20k budget for purchase, repairs and outfitting). We are wanting to buy the boat in Florida to live-aboard and cruise around the Caribbean. What would you buy for a similar situation?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions as to specific places to look, specific brokers to use in Florida, or any other helpful hints they would be very much appreciated!

(New to the forum but as this purchase looms closer and then our adventure begins I imagine it could become a very significant part of my life )
There are lots of boats around in Florida that would do the job if you can put in some sweat equity and are diy competant. I would recommend buying Don Caseys book on sailboat maintenance as it will help you be your own surveyor as well as a good DIY guide.

How about this CLICKY

or this CLICKY

OR EVEN THIS CLICKY

There are two yards that are worthy of a visit or call and both allow DIY

Indiantown Boatyard has a broker that I have met and liked and there are many less expensive boats on offer. [Advantage Yacht sales ]

Green Cove Springs Marina nr Palatka.

But do be aware that while the Bahamas is very accessible and offers great cruising, getting further east to places like the USVI and the Windward/Leeward islands involves a hard slog to windward and has broken many a boat and many a Caribbean dream. Not for nothing is this called the thorny path.

However don't let the naysayers put you off, it is doable, just pick good weather windows and BE PATIENT.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook