SailNet Community - View Single Post - The challenge of experience
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
And I want to make myself clear. If someone wants to enjoy their boat in some particular way I'm not in any way belittling their choice. It's just a boat and hobby and what ever makes a person happy is what counts.
It is just that years and decades of experience don't necessarily translate when the venue changes.

I remember an experienced delivery captain who turned down a job. I believe it was a long east cost delivery run, something like Florida to Maine.
The owner was a very experienced coastal sailor and wanted to move his boat staying close to shore figuring it was safer. The delivery captain wanted to take a route that gave him more sea room.
The owner tried it himself and lost his boat. Thankfully was rescued. His skills and judgement and or stamina weren't quite enough for that particular trip despite years of experience.
I think the old term, coined by merchant ships in the heyday of sailing, for staying close to shore is "coasting," jumping from inlet to inlet up or down the East Coast. The objective is to stay inside the Gulf Stream. It's why the shoreline is littered with sailing ships, especially around the Outer Banks. Even most class A inlets like Ft. Pierce are wicked dangerous, constantly shoaling or just unnavigable with any kind of sea running. I vote for the idea of maintaining enough sea room to ride out a nor'easter hove-to (or stay in the ICW).