SailNet Community - View Single Post - Built in safe for cruising yacht
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006

Shack is on a distinguished road
Some of you gents sound like you have sizable experience in international sailing. I have heard of Mexicalli Coast Guard boarding private vessels and throwing the occupants in to the legal system (cuz they had ammunition). I guess they didn't hide it very well. Do you care to share any sea stories??

My travel experience far exceeds my sailing experience, and from what I've seen the places that are most strict about firearms are often the place where you may need one the most.

However, proper trip planning, permits, and appropritate rolls of red tape can actually get you and your "heater" into other countries. This is not very free wheeling, but then again many laws are not inclined to your freedoms.

Countries allow for hunting will have laws that can be accessed in order to bring your shootin' iron to their shores. Appropriate customs paper work and the assoicated fees can sometimes be worked out. (Get it in writing - get a copy to a third person who has comm with your embassy ahead of time - oh, and get it in writing, did I say that?)

I don't know squat about the Caribbean, however!!!

I think I shall research this topic and see if the embassy dudes have any info.

. . . sea stories, anyone?

I got my Guinness open.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook