SailNet Community - View Single Post - furling main
Thread: furling main
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
1st hand experience

Just for the record, my comments were just that...............I'm not an owner but have chartered & crewed with a number a boats w/ mast furling systems.
I would never choose / buy one.

As I said before & GT/SD have stated real life problems. Having a sail jam in high winds is no picnic & BTW why do things like that always happen at the worse times.

I was out on a private Jenneau yesterday 43DS with in mast furler....the owner is a "fan" for the benefits & acknowledges that he has given up sail shape & controls to get it...............sailmakers are trying to compensate so he plans to factor that into his replacement sail.

I also have been on a Hunter 36 with it and chartered boats with it. All the negatives don't come close to outweighing the benefits. I would love to try an in-boom system............curious what the costs are.

My system of choice is a beautiful full main sail (and lighter mast) with all the bells & whistles plus a lazy jack / stack pack. Bet I can sail faster plus handle my sail easier than the in-mast guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook