SailNet Community - View Single Post - The challenge of experience
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
I question this comment - a challenge doesn't have to involve danger, it need only involve pushing the envelope of your experience. In fact, I would suggest that if danger is involved, you're pushing a bit too far....incremental keeps the enjoyment in it while adding the spice of challenge, without putting yourself and your boat at risk.
Your not the only one to call into question my use of the word "danger".

I agree it would probably not be wise to purposely go out in hurricane conditions with wind gusts predicted to be 50 knots.
But lets say you are planning on a Bermuda, Islands and beyond trip with your bride, your boat is pretty much ready but you have a few months to go.
The weather is predicting rain and winds to 35 knots and seas 4 to 6 for 8 hours and you or your significant other has never been in that before.
Do you pop out there and bash around for a few hours on your weekend or do you varnish in your basement?
What would you do?

I'm defending my choice of words. Varnishing, at least in the short term, is probably less dangerous than the beat to windward on 35 knots.
I don't think the definition of danger is that you have a 85 percent chance of death.
It's all a judgement call but there is real danger with every decision. Who knows what the real risk is? Is it higher than stepping of a curb.

In fact maybe you shouldn't risk that bash in 35 knots on the weekend because the real danger is that your SO will cancel the big trip if she gets too scared and there was an easy way out. If she had the same experience after three months of cruising and all your stuff was sold she would stick it out and have a good time. Now we are talking danger of a different kind.

Danger don't mean dead, danger means some risk, at least that's the way I was using it.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook