SailNet Community - View Single Post - The challenge of experience
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We seem to have hit a bit of a wall lately.

We've been cruising the inside waters to Desolation Sound for decades, have made the trip to Barkley Sound, have island hopped the Caribbean from Grenada to St Martin over several trips, and experienced a small slice of Mexico's Gold coast. Way back as a newbie I signed on for a delivery to SF from Victoria, interesting trip with lots of issues and delays and ended up flying home from Eureka CA.

I grew up on BC's central coast, a remote area with some fertile cruising grounds, much of which is fondly remembered from childhood.. but we have yet to make that trek. In fact despite plans to break the barrier into the Broughtons last summer we were stymied there too. A large factor is my wife's reluctance (read phobia) for rapids and tidal gates. The thought alone of getting through all the gates to Johnstone strait gives her fits. On top of that the high probability of fog, rain, cloud and cool makes it a very hard sell.

Still, it beckons and it could be that I'll take the boat up there and she can join us later by plane one day. So called Fiordland is a place I worked in as a teen and would love to see again.

Haida Gwai is another 'dream' destination, this time involving a crossing of Hecate Strait.

I think it simply takes determination and desire.. we know a couple vastly less 'experienced' than ourselves who successfully cruised to Prince Rupert and back this summer - kudos to them.

One thing that may help is to invite experienced crew to join you, or to 'buddy boat' with someone who's 'been there' as a way to break the ice, so to speak. The confidence and security of that plan is often enough to make it happen the first time.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook