SailNet Community - View Single Post - The challenge of experience
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
David,

Our boat is really close to NYC now, in Port Washington. However, the thought of going through Hells Gate without experienced crew is a bit daunting. (That and making sure I get the tides right.)

When/if the time comes, I plan to call you and Caleb (and maybe put out a general call on SN and AS).

Regards,
Brad
I've been through the East River many times. It is no tremendous challenge and nothing to be afraid of. You do need to time it right so you're going with the tide. Other than that, the biggest worry is avoidance of water taxis and keeping your eyes open for flotsam/deadheads. There are plenty of places to wait for the tide on the Sound side, not so on the NYC side. Just behind the Statue of Liberty there is a small anchorage. If you're thinking of doing the Hudson: Coming down the Hudson the trip can be made from Nyack with the tide all the way to LIS. I've usually make it all the way from Haverstraw to Port Jeff in one day. From LIS going upriver, there is no way around bucking the tide going up unless you delay for about 3 hours in NY Harbor somewhere. I usually buck the tide to around the ?16th? St. Boat Basin, anchor there in the moorings (use a float), have a bite and wait for tide. Going out to Sandy Hook, you can ride the tide all the way and get the sails up. Sailing in and around NY Harbor is an iffy situation. The winds shift constantly because of the buildings. If there is wind, I always get sails up right after The E. River but they always require constant attention. In NY Harbor the current swells can be a factor as well as maneuvering in heavy traffic. With sails up, it complicates maneuvering. Having motor going and sails up definitely helps if you're bucking tide which runs 4+ knots just north of the Battery.