View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Hell's Gate is not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
David,

Our boat is really close to NYC now, in Port Washington. However, the thought of going through Hells Gate without experienced crew is a bit daunting. (That and making sure I get the tides right.)

When/if the time comes, I plan to call you and Caleb (and maybe put out a general call on SN and AS).

Regards,
Brad
I have been through Hell's Gate several times and if you get the tides right it is one of the great anti-climaxes of our time. I went through when I screwed up the tide schedule and it still was not that bad - some overfalls and the like but not dangerous - slow as can be though. The joggers were passing us. I found the Cape Cod Canal to be much nastier and I think the two times I did that, I had the tides right.

Someone mentioned the name making it worst and I imagine this is part of it. One of the places we may stop next year is 'Hellville" in Mozambique. Named after a M. Hell and apparently not that bad.

More of a question than a comment - wasn't a major obstruction in Hell's Gate dynamited a number of years ago so that it is not nearly as nasty?

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 12-16-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook