SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Trouble With Columbias
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
I've taken a mid 70's, 40 something foot Trip Columbia down to the Rio Dulce on three different occasions. The exact year and length has escaped my memory, But the way it handled the Yucatan Channel in a norther hasn't. I surely would have been Knocked down if not for all that free board. Last time I deliverd it, I stayed east of the Channel and ran the non-stop route via the Bay Islands, made it in 6 day's. Boat sail's like a witch. The same for the 25' Trip. I sailed south from Key West one night on A full moon and 15knt east wind, which had the gulf stream stacked, and the boat took it like a champ. The Sparkman/Stephens Columbia's are awesome as well. I deliverd a 1967 29' one to Bimini from Key West a few years back and the straights were boiling. Same thing, Boat took all comers. Thing is with Columbia's, it's all about the designer. I can testify that the Trip's and Spark's are great boat's. The older the better as far as I'm concerned. My buddy is debating over weather to buy a 1980 Cal 31 or the 1966 Cal 36' And I talked him into the '66. I told him a '66 Cal will Drive right thru a 1980 anything. My personel boat, which was my Granddad's, is '65 soverel 28'. I coated it with West System 17 years ago and I think it's still bullet proof.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook