SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1979 spirit 23 new owner
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011

windyway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron Spirit View Post
a few questions to start
swing keel winch mine has like 1/4 inch line on it ,not cable anyone else have there's rigged like this ?

the winch looks like it is ready to collapase from all the rust anyone know a good model for replacement .

this is a pop top model ,the former owner told me you need to lay the mast over towards the bow ,which we did without much trouble .
but looking at it ,it seems like it should be able to laydown toward the stern also which would let me do the board and winch trick . i have seen on youtube.

thanks
1) Swing keels I believe came stock with a cable not a 1/4 line, (How does the line go thru the hull???)
2) I would try & fix it! Use the old parts that you can't buy & buy new parts that match the old rusted ones, ie shop around
3)I lay the mast down AFT but built a collapsible crutch that sits in the cockpit drain holes & attaches to the transom on the table fitting. Make sure the sliding plate under the boom on the mast is all the way up close to where the boom attaches, and also make sure the side stays are not jammed up but pointing AFT.

What is the board and winch trick?? Post a link if you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook