SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about buying my first boat. Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy_End View Post
You know, I am afraid to low ball and I don't think I'm alone. I think it's partly because I'm worried about offending someone, but also I'm not sure what the difference between a lowball offer and a ridiculous offer is in the boat world.

Let's say someone is asking $10k. Assuming average circumstances, is $7k to $8k an expected offer, $5k lowball and $2k ridiculous?
That depends entirely on how close the asking price is to the real value. All sellers don't mark up by the same percentage, so you can't mark down by one. Requires research.

Be wary of hidden flaws that pictures and amateur surveys miss. Wet cores, rigging issues, engine issues, worn sails can be expensive. With some less expensive boats, it is routine that these issues exceed the value of the boat. That's why so many sit abandon in marinas. I'm not trying to scare you away. Just don't assume the biggest discount is the best boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook