SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011/2012 Used Boat Pricing
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011

Kielanders is on a distinguished road
2011/2012 Used Boat Pricing

I hate to sound mercenary, but does anyone with recent experience in the sales market know what prices are generally going for on used boats relative to their NADA values?

I know it depends on a lot of things, make, model, year, condition, and accessories - but for a boat in average condition are things tending to go for average retail, low retail, 20% off average retail?

It's obviously a buyers market, but I've been looking at quite a few boats, with detailed photos, and there's some nice looking stuff whose gear is worth more than the asking price of the boat, and the boat looks in really nice shape. Then there are some boats listed at 3x over average retail, and it makes no sense other than 'that's what the owners think they should be worth'.

It's hard to know who's high and who's low relative to what they have before pulling the trigger on a $500 survey plus fees for the pull, and I'm not in a position to travel to the location to view the boats I'm looking at, so I'd like to have some better gauge of the market before I bring in the surveyor to be my only eyes and ears.

I'm primarily looking at passage makers, <$35K, most brands of which I know have held their value better over the decades.

Thanks, this is a great forum.

Last edited by Kielanders; 12-17-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook