SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's going on with Kelly Hanson sails?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
An underlying issue at the crux of this peeing contest is the question of whether buying cheap goods, made by low-wage workers is ethically defensible. Putting aside the obvious truth of caveat emptor, when you make the decision to buy something made in a third-world country, you've made an ethical decision. One populist opinion is that buying American-made products is more "right" because it supports U.S. workers. The opposing idea is that by buying sails or anything else made in low-wage countries, it has benefited the workers of that country regardless of the low wages they receive...something is better than nothing and it is a "foot in the door." I believe that much good has been done in places like Sri Lanka, etc. by giving the people productive work, moving them out of abject poverty. Moving offshore has the effect of putting some Americans out of work but does indeed benefit people elsewhere who have few options.

No one here knows what really went on with this company, nor anything about the principals. I almost ordered a storm jib from them last year. The price was right and it looked like a good product. Has anyone had a GOOD experience with them?