SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tools Aboard How do you store em?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I always thought a soft bag would be better than a hard box due to the unusual shape of the limited storage areas. During my first season on the boat I used this cheapo bag from Harbor Freight:

...but as the year went on and more tools made a one-way trip from my house to the boat, I needed more room and a heavier, more durable bag. After a lot of shopping around, I went all-out and got this sizeable, very hefty bag from Home Depot:

I really like the tool wall in the middle and pockets around the side, because I can see all the tools from above instead of having to dig through a pile. The heavy rubber feet prevent the bag from sliding off the cabin top when I need to take the bag topsides.

As for moisture prevention, I assumed that silica gel and other small preventers would not last inside the bag because of the way the bag breathes. The solution for me was to minimize moisture throughout the boat with a dehumidifier when on shore power, and DampRid canisters when on the hard. I've posted about the dehumidifier in another thread. Since I'm just a daysailor, I don't spend enough time at sea to worry about moisture while away from shore power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook