SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Single-handed spinnaker

Sailing single-handed, I have always been afraid to try deploying the asymmetrical spinnaker (a "Flasher") that came with the boat. It has always seemed that there is a good chance of getting it wrapped around or under the boat without at least one other person to at least steer the boat. Last summer I did get to experiment around with it when I had help. I would really like to be able to use it regularly. So, does anyone here have a set of procedures or tips he/she uses for launching and retrieving one of these things when solo? I have no doubt I can handle getting it UP when everything is set up right, that is pretty straight forward and takes only a few seconds. It is in getting it back in the bag in a controlled manner when the wind pipes up without losing it in the water or getting it hopelessly wrapped on the forestay that I am afraid of. I know a sock would help but I don't have one and it is low on the priority list.