SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. You're confirming my decisions to leave it in the sailbag. I would use it with the windvane steering in light wind conditions but you can't depend on wind staying light. Just getting up to the bow, dragging tethers around and not getting tangled up in flailing sheets would be a challenge, no less trying to control the halyard coming down and stuffing the sail somewhere. Guess I'll just stick with poling out the headsail on a J length pole.

In watching the boat's speed at points of sail beam to aft of beam with the a-spinnaker, I actually recorded almost no difference in speed compared to just using the headsail although when experimenting the wind was around 10 knots. I suspect that once near hull speed these provide no additional useable lift and actually just present the danger of too much canvas at that point. Is it correct to say that they are really only useful for cruising in say 1-7 knots? How many of you cruisers see a real benefit in using one? I never had a spinnaker on any of my smaller one designs so am unfamiliar with their actual usefulness. It sure LOOKS nice although it certainly obstructs the view ahead..