SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Fly it and have fun!

I flew an asymmetrical solo without self-steering gear, a sock or stuffer on my P26, just a bungee cord wrapped on the tiller.

Haul it up while sailing dead down so it is blanketed by the main. You can always release both sheets (and the mainsheet) if you are overwhelmed on a reach, then drop the halyard, or steer dead down and blanket the asym. with the main. Make sure your sheets and halyard have enough length to depower and drop all the way into the water. Yes, the sail will make lots of noise flapping, and may drop into the soup while you drag it by the tack, but it is not anything you cannot cure, if you stay on your toes. The .75 oz nylon is surprisingly strong. If you find it fouled in the water, release the halyard and tack line while retaining the sheets and the sail will drag behind you to be hauled in by the sheets.

Have fun and hang on during the gusts - you do not want to join the sail in the soup yourself!
Have messed around with it enough not to worry about being overpowered and knocked down as long as I'm paying attention. It is pretty easy to control, even in 20k gusts although I sense that it could cause trouble and was not meant to be used in moderate winds. Just looking at the size of pennant, grommets, and sheets indicates it was never designed to be used in wind> around 10k and would probably blow out if stressed much above this. I have a real aversion to dropping any sail in the water and dealing with the soggy salt water mess. The biggest problem solo is in dropping the halyard and stuffing the sail back in the handy hoop-type bag. It requires both hands, knees, and teeth There is just no quick way to accomplish this. Jack's suggestion about dropping it down the bow hatch makes sense except for the possibility of taking a wave over the bow and getting everything below drenched w/ salt water and next to impossible to get dry. I usually am out for a month or so, therefore, keeping things dry below is an issue.