SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc View Post
No efforts could un furl, furl, or drop sail. We had to hove to and wait for the rig to fail...
And that, friends and neighbors, is why Lealea still has hanked on sails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I have thought about this also. If it happens, you will just need to deal with it. I think the roller safety aspects out weigh a hank on jib safety issues in heavy seas. I think you just need to pick the worse of two evils. Seeing all single handed non stop round the world racing sailors use rollers says a lot for their safety. I think if maintained well, they have excellant reliability record. I would not give up my roller for a hank on. I think I can deal with any failure of the systems that I might encounter. Although I would like to add an inner forestay that I can use with a hank on jib if the roller fails me.
I disagree. (Not that I am right or anything, just my opinion)

Your choice, of course. For myself I would not bet my life on it and that is what you are doing. I suppose it is fine on a race boat with a large professional crew. For middle aged Mom and Pop Rose, however, in their little old cruiser, the old fashioned way is best. And imagine an inexperienced cruising couple caught in a blow when the roller gets stuck or blows out

Mama won't be going cruising no more

But then, MY crew actually likes working on the foredeck in waist deep white water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 12-18-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook