SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
I'm fascinated by this boat and this attempt. It's something truly amazing. I watch the videos of this boat doing 30+ knots effortlessly over and over and over again. This one is my favorite. See if you can tell why
Hats off to Loïck and his crew.
Yes that's a great adventure and very difficult because the previous record established by the trimaran Groupama with Frank Cammas as skipper was an incredible performance.

They are having problems with icebergs and growlers:

!9/12 Hi all

Hope you guys are all well...Sorry for last few garbled days of updates, am going to write this sitting down, rather than in my bunk, where have been falling asleep at the keyboard!

Since the encounter with the amazing ice display of The remnants of berg B15J we have been skirting the Northern edge of the known ice zone. Firstly in almost no wind, and now tacking upwind in 15 knots of wind.

Our watch was on deck through the entire night - at least the 4 hours of it that we have here, and we were paying close attention to the radar. We were looking at various echos on the radar, rain clouds, fog banks, waves, and distinguishing them from possible icebergs, when an echo on the screen suddenly appeared that was unmistakably solid South of Cape Leewin!
Ciao, am off to my bunk, cannot stay awake any longer!
Brian

.....Late this afternoon we passed about 4 miles to leeward of one iceberg, and saw ten growlers, between 5 and 1m high. The iceberg we saw from 12 miles out on the radar, (before we saw it visually), but the growlers did not show up at all well on radar.

Fortunately the water temp is 8 or 9C, so the growlers should not get too far from the mother berg before melting.

It's night now, so a careful lookout for us. Time to go on deck:.

Brian

Press Releases Maxi Trimaran Banque Populaire V

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook