SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
I seriously considered doing away with the roller when replacing rigging. I sail primarily single-handed and considering the extra steps in dealing with hank-on headsails, decided to leave the roller. I realize the roller is prone to jamming but weighing that against getting up to the bow while the boat steers itself, dragging the tether along, trying to avoid the sail going in the water on the way down, trying to tie it off along the lifeline, etc. decided to leave the roller. Not getting caught with too big a sail BEFORE you need a smaller one to me is the important step. Just the wind resistance and weight of the ROLLED 160% genny is an issue. With the simplicity of rollers, I don't see how the thing could jam so bad that it could not be rolled in at the bow by hand once the sail was luffing. I have done this after getting the spool jammed. With a 100% working jib, a few turns essentially turns it into a storm jib as well. I also would like to have a removable inner stay for a small storm sail. It's on the to-do list. In-boom/mast systems are something else. They are not readily accessible. I watched a guy a couple of years ago with a really expensive in-mast rig get it hopelessly jammed and have to call for assistance.